This course is designed for general practitioners who wish to perform more of their own surgeries and refer less cases out of their offices. It is a step-by-step presentation of numerous minor surgical procedures that the dentist can and WILL confidently perform in the office when this hands-on seminar is completed. Participants will perform a large number of procedures utilizing anatomical specimens. The course will demonstrate techniques that have been utilized and updated successfully for over 30 years. It is important to emphasize that this seminar does not present major Maxillofacial surgery such as osteotomies, fractures, condylectomies, rhinoplasties, etc. that are of no practical or clinical value to the GP. The surgical procedures that will be taught are the “BREAD and BUTTER” variety, allowing the participants to refine and update all surgical skills.
• Performing a proper Examination, Assessment and Preparation of the Patient
• Surgical removal of cysts
• Surgical removal of soft tissue tumours
• Surgical removal of hyperplastic tissue
• Proper techniques for hemostasis
• Incision and drainage of infected tissue
– Maxillary labial (diastema)
– Mandibular lingual (ankyloglossia)
– Maxillary labial (prior to fabrication of complete upper denture)
• Surgical removal of impacted and non-impacted 3rd molars
• Surgical removal of erupted molars
• Surgical removal of Tori (mandibular and palatal)
• Surgical exposure of impacted cuspids
• Diminished Traumatic Extractions and synthetic Bone Replacement with Membrane application.
• Post-op considerations, including appropriate use of analgesics, antibiotics and sedatives.
• The “Art” mandibular Block. A refreshing, new, successful approach to accomplishing Regional Anesthesia by blocking the 3rd division of 5th nerve.
Participants will find that the choice of proper instruments for each surgical technique, the proper use of those instruments and the proper surgical techniques, as well as pre-operative patient assessment and post-operative considerations will no longer be complicated nor a mystery. The GP will have the confidence and the skill to perform all of the surgical techniques taught in the seminar.